Friday, April 24, 2020

Katom Khatool ...



Andrew watched as Kerry trimmed Katom’s fur.  He knew what was coming, there was no way to warn her or prepare her.  It saddened him. Angels could only do so much.
Katom was grateful for the Person who untangled him from the fence.      

“I am still afraid of people, as they have not always been kind in my life.  But she brings me food. I know she wants to pet me, but I am afraid.”

As a few days go by and only good things happen, “She has made me a soft warm place to sleep.  She continues to bring me food.  I shall follow her about the yard to see what she does ....”

“Perhaps today I will let her cut some mats from my beautiful furs. I have more time to groom now that I’m not faced with finding food.”

“I have let the nice lady catch me and take me to another.  I wonder what will be next?”

Andrew stroked the beautiful orange fur as Katom drifted off to sleep. He listened as the Vet spoke to Kerry on the telephone,  “He has feline leukemia, some abscesses, and is not a young cat.  It would be kinder if ...”

Sometimes he wished he had more power. This was one of those time.  Such a beautiful soul.  He held Katom against him, and faded from sight.

*. *. *. *. *

Tig and Storm were visibly upset, and hunted for Miss Pepper.  They knew her as one of the “elders” and perhaps she could tell them what was going on.

“What you are feeling is the anguish from the person who helped you on earth. Another comes, and you are sensing that”.

“But what do we DO about it?”  wailed Tig.

“Shhh, now, don’t cry.  It will be all right”. Pepper licked his ear as if to offer comfort.  She turned to find Misty headed her way.

“I got the message ... is he here yet” asked Misty, as she tried to comfort Storm.  “Let’s get them to Council Rock.  Andrew will be here soon I’m sure ...

The four kitties headed for the lovely meadow, banked on one side by beautiful oaks, elms, and willow trees, and across to the other side Crystal Creek, where the water was pure and sweet.

And as Pepper had said, there sat Andrew, with Katom on his lap.  “Tig! Storm!  I knew you’d be here, this is Katom.”

Andrew reached into his famous pockets for tidbits just right for kitties.

“They didn’t know what it was they were feeling. We tried to explain, but I’m not sure it helped any”,   Misty added.

“Ah, yes ... the “quickening” as I call it.   Because the three of you came from the same place, you were sensing Katom’s arrival.  You’ll learn to recognize it as it happens.”

Pepper added, “Those of us who lived with my Mama sense when she’s sad, and can usually know if someone comes.  Sometimes we know of others who did not live with our family, because we always can hear Mama’s thoughts.”

“Actually,” Andrew explained, “you’re hearing her prayers.  Because of her “writie box” as you call it, she knows people all over the world, people she’s never met except for the “box”.  You are attuned to her thoughts and prayers, as I am.  Everyone has an Angel.  I am hers, and therefore, yours.”

Katom purred as Andrew stroked his fur.  He was sad, he wished he had let Kerry pet him.

“Tig and Storm came not long ago, Katom, and now you are here as well.  Your time on earth came to an end.  The doctor who checked on you knew to allow you more days on earth would be to allow you to experience  horrible pain.  Though it broke Kerry’s heart, she did the best thing for you, which was to let you come here to us.”

“And we’ll show you how to visit her. ...”.  Misty always loved that part.  Teaching a newcomer how to send thoughts and comfort to those left behind.

“Will I be able to go back?” Katom asked.

“Not as you were, but as a spirit.  When she sits in her chair, she’ll know you are purring nearby.  When she goes to sleep at night, you can watch over her.”  Andrew continued petting the beautiful orange cat.  His mats were all gone, his fur glistened,   “She will know you are safe, and waiting for the day she comes to join all of you.”

“Don’t you think we should go?”  Pepper figured they’d sat there long enough, and the others were waiting at the Bridge.

Andrew rose, carrying Katom, with Tig, Storm, Misty and Pepper close to his robe, and they were gone....

“I see them! They’re here!”  Mouse, Mousie, Maggie and Molly were the first to see them, and the others gathered quickly.

Tig and Storm along with Misty and Pepper hopped down from the beautiful Rainbow Bridge.  Andrew gave Katom a final kiss on the top of his head, and then set him gently down on the Bridge.

“Now you must jump!  Accept the promise our Creator made to all of us, man and beast ... that one day we’d cross the Bridge to be reunited with our human family, and go through the Great Gates together for all eternity”.

Andrew smiled at Tig, who had really studied all he could find out about this place.

Katom looked at all the animals gathered to meet him. Cats, dogs, birds, wild critters like foxes, and bandit faced trash pandas, all of them as far as he could see.  They all looked at him happily ready to welcome him.

With one last look back at Andrew, Katom closed his eyes, and leaped gracefully off the Bridge.  As Andrew faded from sight, he knew all was well.  He felt the pain and sorrow of Kerry and the people at the veterinary clinic.  It was hard for them.. There were no tears here, these sweet animals would be loved, and cared for until they were reunited with the people who had loved them.  He watched as Katom went to the edge of the meadow, with Misty on one side, Pepper on the other, telling him to close his eyes, and purr as loudly as he could.

“I’m okay, Kerry, I’m here with the others.  I love you, and thank you for loving me.  Thank you for sending me here. I’ll see you in your dreams .....”

Andrew wiped a tear of his own.  All was well. It was as it should be.  As it was promised ..... “when even a sparrow falls ....”

© Rose Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment